How to spot a fake - Dandelion blush

There's no doubt that shopping online is the way of the future. It's easy and you can often find a bargain. 

But you have to be very careful when buying cosmetics, particularly high end brands such as Benefit or MAC - eBay is full of dodgy copies. Can you spot the fake?


The first time I ever bought cosmetics from eBay, it was this Dandelion blush and a tube of You Rebel Lite. Safe to say, it was the last time as well.

My advice would be to only ever buy high end cosmetics from an authorised seller, to be sure of the quality and most importantly, its safety. Aussie gals can buy safely online from the US Benefit store - the prices are so much cheaper (particularly with the current exchange rate) and if you order over $115 worth of stuff, you get free international shipping.

Read on to find out how to spot a fake!



The first thing is to look at the outside packaging. You can see the fake here is a darker green, and though it's not really visible in the photo, the real one is glossy, while the fake is matte.




Look how the 'dandelion' logo isn't square on the fake, and the box isn't as structurally perfect as the real one.

Also see how the weight on the fake is written as 10g, and on the real one it's 10.0g.






Note how the writing on the fake isn't straight, and the font is bolder.








  • The side margins are very different
  • The font sizes are too small on the fake
  • Look at how 'London' is underlined on the real one, but the area code is underlined on the fake!
The label on the back should peel off to reveal a list of ingredients in other languages. On some fakes, the label actually doesn't peel off, but on mine it does so I didn't bother taking a picture of that.


Check out the spelling mistakes below! Amazing.




The corners don't match up where the picture has been pasted down. It just looks really poor quality.











The brushes are completely different.









  • The fake has a larger wooden handle and shorted bristles, which are rougher and darker than the real ones.
  • There are less bristles in the fake.




The bad quality is pretty obvious really, especially when you compare it with the one bought from a Benefit counter.







- THE SIGNS -
  • Firstly, just smell it. The fake doesn't smell like anything, but the real Dandelion smells so delicious, it's like flowers on a summer day!
  • Pan doesn't fit the box (bottom right corner)
  • The paper covering the box is really badly done!
  • The colour is lighter, hardly pigmented at all. 
  • It's not shimmery, and very chalky in consistency.




You can see the difference in colour and how the pan fits nicely into the box.






It's a little hard to tell on this picture, but can you see how the real Dandelion looks like a natural pink flush to the skin, while the fake has an orange tinge to it? It's also chalky and didn't rub into the skin, there were still flecks of it sitting on my arm that I had to blow away.



If you know what to look for, spotting a fake is a bit easier. But again, let me say that it's dangerous to buy cosmetics from random online sellers because you don't know what's in it! You might suffer from an allergic reaction, especially if you buy something like a foundation which goes all over your face. It's seriously not worth it.

Aussie girls: if you buy online from www.benefitcosmetics.com you can save money, because the exchange rate is so good at the moment. This blush sells for US $28 online, or if you want to try it out first, you can buy it for $51 in Myer or David Jones.

I've also bought from www.au.strawberrynet.com and they sell real products, but are often the ones which have been discontinued.

If you think you have been scammed by an online seller through eBay, all is not lost. Message the seller and tell them politely but firmly that you want a refund because they sold you a fake. Tell them that if they don't comply within, say, 48 hours, you will open a dispute with PayPal and eBay, and you will leave negative feedback as well. I did exactly that and the seller refunded my money immediately.

They asked me not to leave negative feedback but of course I did anyway, to hopefully avoid others being scammed. I informed eBay about the dodgy seller and checked back a few weeks later - the account was gone.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me or leave a comment!

x Jasmine


I am not affiliated with Benefit Cosmetics, StrawberryNet or any other Benefit seller.  This post is purely to help others avoid being scammed by unscrupulous sellers on eBay.  Both Dandelion blushes were purchased with my own money.

8 Response to How to spot a fake - Dandelion blush

Anonymous
October 29, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Hey there, I agree with you. There are so many fake benefit products out there and the safest way is to buy them from benefit store or authorized sellers ( benefit stated all of them on their website )

My friend once bought fake coralista on ebay, the "peel here" on the back can't be peeled to see benefit logo. And the important part was it caused her skin to break outs!

Anonymous
October 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

And one more thing, could you make a review regarding benefits fragrances?
The bottles look so cute! I received a sample of "my place or yours Gina" but it smells weird :(

thanks!

October 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I hope your friend was able to get a refund on her Coralista. I've never used mine on my face because I'm so worried it contains dangerous chemicals.

Fragrance review coming soon!

October 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Hey, thanks so much for your comment on german below my video. I got a Dandelion fake too, in april I think. It looks preety much the same as yours. I put pictures on my Blog if you like to see it. But the Blog is in german too.

November 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM

It's a shame that people get lied to and buy these fake toxic Banefit products! I hope less people will get scammed!

Anonymous
June 15, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Ive just been scammed by a fake Dandelion and Georgia but the packaging was far more convincing so please be aware!! they are getting better, the only way to tell they were fake was the product stamp (a little 4 digit black stamp which is somewhere on the back of proper products) was missing, other than that, very convincing!! Good luck bargain Benefit hunters!! xxx

Anonymous
September 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Amazingly helpful review so thank you for that. World of Warning though - I decided to try Stawberrynet for a few bargains and nearly everything I received was fake! (these are tried and tested regualrs I use so I know the products well) If you dig into them online you'll see that quite a few others have had fakes from there too! :0(

May 16, 2017 at 8:09 AM

I am in the same situation! Used girl meets pearl for years and always buy from boots' benefit counter. The colour, pigments and smell are amazing! The one I have received is more like a tinted moisturiser and smells like digestive biscuits. I wouldn't care but I only saved £2 than if I had bought it from shop. Another thing is that the seller has amazing feedback of a lot of customers so am worried that I won't get anywhere. So annoying as I know it's definitely not right!!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Addicted2Benefit All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes